The Chichester Open Streets Campaign (COSC) propose holding an Open Streets event on Sunday afternoon 12th July 2020 marking the close of the Festival of Chichester.
The COSC is a local community group who wish to promote walking, cycling and public transport as healthier and cleaner modes of transport in our City. We support many of the initiatives outlined in the Chichester Vision Document and would like to help trial a few of these ideas during Open Streets events. Our group were previously named the Car Free Chichester Campaign.
Activities planed for inclusion in Chichester’s 12th July 2020 Open Street Event:
- Art-creating activities for young and old alike (for example painting, chalk street drawings and paper lantern making)
- Parked Stagecoach bus promoting public transport
- Sustrans members encouraging adoption of active travel and servicing bicycles
- Music performances using acoustic instruments or instruments powered by static exercise bike with dynamo.
- Street theatre
- Plants and greenery on the street
After discussions with West Sussex highways and Chichester District council, we discovered the main reason for last years cancellation was concern about any traffic being allowed through the event. We planned last year to allow local residents through to access or leave there property.
To avoid this problem repeating this year, we mow plan to close South Street to all motorised traffic during the event.
The event is planned to run between 14:00 to 17:00 hours on the 12th July 2020.